Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Calming the mind in the morning

This morning was a really bad morning. I didn't feel good about the day. Must have work up on the wrong side of bed. I am overseas and alone in the hotel room. I felt really restless in mind and body. After breakfast was no better.

I brought a book written/published by the late Ven. K. Sri Dhammananda called "Daily Buddhist Devotions". I recited the five precepts and did a short meditation on loving kindness. While reciting aloud in my room, I mindfully noticed the vibrations I felt caused by my voice while chanting. Together with the short meditation, my mind suddenly felt calmer and focused. It was an inner calm and inner peace.

Then it was off to work. I must say that the morning recital helped to slow my mind into some calmness. Focusing the mind during meditation has a calming effect, very unlike the rest and calmness you get while sleeping. It is an inner peace, a kind of non-materialistic calm.

Everyday, little by little, I am discovering myself and the value of the Buddha's teaching, how sublime and effective it is.

---------------------------------
Copyright © Bernard Ong, 2006.
All rights reserved.

No comments: